Saturday, July 04, 2009

ENDURING

Experience teaches us that it is much easier to prevent an enemy from posting themselves than it is to dislodge them after they have got possession. George Washington


Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are the change that we seek. Barack Obama


Our country has endured wars on our shores
and our men have served abroad,
however we have endured over 233 years.

Civil disobedience, man made castroprophies,
natural disasters & shootings galore,
however the people have hung in there 233 years.

A rag tag bunch leaving to come to our shores
we're all immigrants, sorta ya know
and we have endured over 233 years.

We stand mighty in the world,
just as the flag waves unfurled
the Eagle & Statue of Liberty,
but it's the men of this nation who continue to endure!

7 comments:

Pax Romano said...

You know that the 4th of July is my second fave holiday of the year (Halloween, being my first). The reason is simple, it's a no-stress holiday.

While I am not one of those "America Right or Wrong" folks, I do love my country, but there are times, when I think of the lines from a song by the band X which goes like this:

"I tried to love my country,
but it's turned it's back,
on it's weak and hungry,
it's tired and poor - this must be a country at war".

And that sums it up. We are constantly at war, with ourselves!

How does that go, a house divided can not stand? I just wish this nation could put aside it's petty differences and stand together - imagine that!

DeniseinVA said...

Great post Granny. Happy 4th of July!

Anonymous said...

Really great post.

secret agent woman said...

Nice bookend quotes from te first and current presidents. Hope you had a good 4th.

Rambling Woods said...

Great post for the 4th..I hope yours was a good one...

Virginia Gal said...

Congratulations on the blog award!

I love this post!

Anonymous said...

Hi there

Definitely gonna recommend this post to a few friends