Saturday, October 31, 2009

Halloween 2009


Not much going on here. I live in a retirement community. SO no tricks or treats!

While all of you are enjoying cooler weather we are having the last hurrah of summer here in Florida. They keep saying it's gonna cool down next week. They been saying that every week since I have come back from NJ & MD.

You never saw anyone more into Halloween than my mother. She loved all of it. Costumes, parties, tricks, & treats. She made Halloween fun! We would never have a purchased costume. We would always make ours, and we had some humdingers.
I remember when I was real young we entered into the local town parade. My older brother had some good ideas. One year he painstakingly made a robot costume, and that was before robots were in vogue. Another year he was an Indian in full regalia-shamee for his loincloth. Not much else besides that, Indian war paint and a tomahawk(Don't know how he didn't freeze). Of course he won both those years!

I was always heavy as a child. One year I went as a baby-with diaper, t-shirt, bonnet, and pacifier. They thought that one up and I never lived it down-the kids called me baby Huey the rest of the year.

After we had our first dau who was in a wheelchair we dressed her as a jack-in-the box, she was so cute. Everyone thought we were clever. My youngest wanted to be a cowgirl (for many years).
One of the last costumes I wore was at work. I simply had my teeth darkened & had a witches nose on. It was one of my first days at this particular job and did I make an impression! One of my co-workers always said-"I knew you were ok as soon as I saw that nose on ya"
So I'm wishing you all treats and no tricks!





8 comments:

Patty said...

Out of seven houses on this section of the block, three of us passed out treats. We only had about 50 this year, and mostly all were 10 or younger. Wasn't too bad of an evening to be sitting out. I always sit at the end of the driveway, with a pumpkin lite up and this year I also had some spooky music playing.

Virginia Gal said...

No trick or treaters in a retirement community?? I would think that would be one of the safest places to trick or treat, too bad they can't ship the kids in. Is that naive of me to think?? I just see retirement communities as being full of sweet grandma's and grandpa's, who couldn't hurt a fly.

Rambling Woods said...

We didn't have that many kids this year but they were sure cute.. We too used to make our costumes and it was so much fun.. Nice memories. Happy Halloween a tad late... Michelle

Merci said...

We went out to dinner and a movie, so we missed the hullaballoo.

Carver said...

I enjoyed your halloween memories. We have quite a few trick or treaters and I have to get a lot of candy because I eat it in between giving it to the kids.

Diane said...

Hope you have a great week! :O)

secret agent woman said...

The jack in the box was a great idea! I always like seeing all the costumes.

Molly Malone said...

one of these days, i want to get full-hog back into Halloween. i do so love it!