Monday, July 02, 2007

Family Reunion

Yesterday was the annual family reunion here in NJ. We used to do this all the time when I was a kid at grannies house or go to Ocean City for the day. Life however got into the way and the reunion was suspended for quite awhile. Much to one of my Uncles and his wife's credit they resumed it a couple of years ago. It takes place at their home here in South Jersey and it is a ball seeing everyone and talking about good ole times!
My dad was one of ten and the eldest. He passed many years ago(maybe thats why I feel a bit depressed today?). There's one Aunt and 3 uncles left. All of the extended families attend, even those of the expired brothers and sisters. We come from all over to attend- NJ, NH, NC,SC, Penna, & Va, at least thats all I can remember right now.
My dad's family actually originated in Kentucky so in reality it's a bunch of rednecks getting together and having a noisy ball. We also come in a variety of shapes and sizes!!! & now colors.
They have pictures of which we try to tell who folks are, being one of the older grandchildren I can remember most of em, but one had me stuck yesterday. Then there was that pic of me 150 pounds heavier EEK, what an eye opener!
We talked, ate & ate, drank, swam& played games. I even played volley ball with a bunch of teens- was supposed to be guys against the gals, but being me I played with the guys-we won!
Then there was the music- was great mixture of old and new, pop/country. Then the finale was two of my uncles playing guitar & singing. Then the singing of Amazing Grace that left no eye without a tear as that was/is our family song.
What a great day with wonderful weather!

3 comments:

Pax Romano said...

Wow, the WOO-TAN clan was raising hell in Joisey, and then closed the evening with Amazing Grace!

I would have loved to have been there!

Joe Tornatore said...

wonderful weather you had. beats the company picnics with bernie Blanks, I reckon.

pissed off patricia said...

That sounds so nice. When I was a little girl we used to do that, but due to one thing and another, I have no idea where any of my relatives are today.

I hope someone recorded the singing of Amazing Grace. A copy of that recording would make a nice christmas gift for everyone in the family.