Sunday, December 28, 2008

Out of the mouths of babes

So as not to seem harsh or misunderstood. I am just telling a story as it was said.

Christmas morn my grandchildren had to go to their dads for the weekend- it was his turn for him to have them for the holiday. They alternate holidays.
Grandson #2 (5yr old) asks dad- can we take some of our presents to play with. Dad- no, you have toys at my mom's and my house. Grandson then says-"your toys are lame" We all looked at one another and couldn't say a word!

This eve when children return, my daughter asks the kiddos-what did dad & grandma get for ya. Grandma got us clothes-yuck. She pressed on so what did Dad get you, Nothing was the reply. To which young grandson adds- he got us nothing except an empty floor!

I am not really mercenary, but this seems unreal to me. I know he was not raised by getting nothing for Christmas- so you folk who read my blog can you help me to understand? For the life of me I can't. Some might think it is a lack of money, believe me it's not.


Language is the source of misunderstandings.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery (1900 - 1944)

Let thy speech be short, comprehending much in a few words.
Aprocrypha

Grasp the subject, the words will follow.
Cato the Elder (234 BC - 149 BC)

Use soft words and hard arguments.
English Proverb

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

The simple truth is there is no understanding this. The man's actions speaks volumes at a number of levels. Thankfully, the children have their mother and her family.

Karl said...

Sorry, I haven't an answer;makes no sense to me. NOTHING! That is too unimaginable. Even 1 or 2 small SOMETHINGS would suffice!

lusia said...

Hi Friend,Very interesting blog.I visited your site and hope you will do the same.

Software Helper , business studies , Earn Money ,Net Working ,Computer World ,

Craver Vii said...

I don't understand.

Unless, he delegated the gifts to his Mrs. That's what we usually do in our house. She buys the gift and/or card, and brings it to me for my John Hancock. In those cases, people understand that the gifts come from both of us. Anyway, that's me. That man and I are in different situations, and it doesn't feel to me like the same thing.

Anonymous said...

Having spent some time with alternate holidays and a fella that didn't want to be a Dad..all I can say is that I don't understand at all..

my mind wanders said...

Wow. At least they have your daughter and you! I hope you had a very Merry Christmas!! I am sure the kids loved seeing you.

Anonymous said...

great quotes. There is no comprehending what motivates people sometimes.

Zelda

Craver Vii said...

I just heard the news. It breaks my heart. My prayers are with you, dear sister. May God be your rock and your comfort. May He strengthen you with His peace. He sees every tear and hears your cry.

Patty said...

Sounds to me like he's just a selfish person. One little toy item to go along with the clothes. After all they are small children, they aren't grown ups yet. Thank goodness for you Grandma and their Mommy.

wispy willow said...

Who could even begin to understand someone who is so tangled in his own needs?

I understand that many men have a tough time shopping for a wife or for children. They drown in a sea of indecision, feeling comletely overwhelmed by the over abundance of choices. My own first born son has had me buy for his son's stocking every year for the last decade. He's a single dad and a good one...but, he just can't figure out how to fill up a Christmas sock with fun things.

BUT... that being said, there is NO excuse for not setting aside your own discomfort and putting the light in your child's eyes on Christmas morning FIRST!!!

The man is a self centered lout!
Now... there's some sweet Christmas spirit for ya. Sorry. I Can't help it. I calls em as I sees em.